- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 06-08-2018
Your pet is your furry buddy and is always there when you walk in the door to greet you. Your furry friend is probably very curious as well, getting into things they shouldn't or eating things that aren't meant for them.
This type of curiosity may end up getting your furry pet into trouble at some point in time or another. If your dog or cat gets into something that makes them sick, you'll need to do your part to help them. Read on for tips on how to handle a pet emergency.
If your pet got into something that is toxic for them, you need to get them help immediately. If you aren't sure what they got into, that's OK. If your dog or cat is vomiting or has diarrhea, keep an eye on it to see if it gives you a hint at what they may have gotten into.
If you do know what your pet ingested, take a look at what your pet ate and how much they ate. Then call your veterinarian or take your pet to the veterinarian along with the information you have about what they ingested to have your pet treated.
Some toxins to keep an eye out for include:
These are just a few common household toxins that should be kept out of your pet’s reach.
A curious cat may think that electrical cord or that fake grass in your child's Easter basket looks delicious, but these items could cause choking or even electrocution. Keep your cat and dog away from these things, as well as other things around your home such as yarn, string, or ribbon.
If you spot your cat (or your dog) has been nibbling on things they shouldn't or find them choking on something, you should know how to handle the situation.
Give your cat or dog the Heimlich maneuver by placing your hands below their ribs and pressing your fist into the abdomen to dislodge the object.
If your dog or cat is not breathing, try to remove the object by looking inside their mouth and pulling the object out. If this doesn't help, you'll need to give your pet CPR. To do this, you'll breathe into your pet's nose while holding their mouth closed. If you aren't sure how to do this, get your pet to the veterinarian right away.
A choking pet may become scared and could potentially bite. Be very careful when attempting to get close to your pet's mouth.
If your pet sees an insect and thinks it's a toy to play with but ends up with a few sting wounds, you may notice some swelling. A bee or wasp sting can cause swelling and even a deadly allergic reaction in some cases.
Severe reactions are not common, but with multiple sting wounds, a more severe reaction may occur. If your pet is showing signs of difficult breathing such as heavy breathing, collapse, or discomfort, call your veterinarian right away.
For stings or other insect bites, the swelling may come down after a day or two. Some stings or bites may cause itchiness. Talk to your veterinarian about these types of bite or sting wounds if your pet is showing signs of discomfort.
Your furry pal’s curiosity may get them into trouble at some point in time. Try your best to make your home pet friendly by putting up anything that could be toxic or that could cause choking. In the event of an emergency or if you just aren't sure what could be wrong with your pet, take them to your veterinarian at Columbine Animal Hospital to get help.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.
Please call us at 303-979-4040 or fill out this form to request an appointment.
|Monday||8 - 12||2 - 6|
|Tuesday||8 - 12||2 - 6|
|Wednesday||8 - 12||2 - 6|
|Thursday||8 - 12||2 - 6|
|Friday||8 - 12||2 - 6|
|Saturday||8 - 12||Closed|
|8 - 12||8 - 12||8 - 12||8 - 12||8 - 12||8 - 12||11- 3|
|2 - 6||2 - 6||2 - 6||2 - 6||2 - 6||Closed||Closed|
Wonderful experience. Very clean and very compassionate towards my pet. I will recommend Columbine to all my friends